Concertist, professor at Guildhall School of Music in London, at Vienna Konservatorium and at The Academy Lions Clubs Mo Alexander...
Welcome to the information site for the Old Ox Music Festival – Stockholm Masterclasses and Orchestra.
The course will take place on the premises of the Royal College of Music and Lilla Akademien in Stockholm.
The course is also part of the Royal College of Music’s ”Additional Training Programs” which provides participating students with 7.5 ECTS credits.
The festival is a unique opportunity to receive advice for your further musical and career development, to perform with outstanding soloists and conductors in some of Sweden’s most important concert halls, as well as expanding and developing your international network.
The master classes take place as part of the Old Ox Festival in Stockholm where you will have free entrance to concerts and events.
Take risks, inspire audiences, meet people and have fun
Become an integral part of a performing arts community of which many of the worlds most important performers are also members.
Over 6000 amazing young artists from 50 countries have participated in Old Ox masterclasses and festivals.
In October we will welcome hundreds of young musicians, professors and famous artists to Stockholm. Although this can be a lot to take in, we take pride in what we offer our participants. Please take time to read all of the information before you apply and contact us if you have any questions.
– For all, open individual solo masterclasses (there will be no piano accompanists for the masterclasses)
The jury will divide all the participants into 2 different groups:
– Group 1 Symphony Orchestra – Those who are selected for this will have solo master classes and play in the symphony orchestra. Repertoire: Beethoven Symphony No. 7 and Violin Concerto and Britta Byström Ten Secret Doors. Rehearsals at 14-18 Mon-Thu, Concert Sat-Sun.
Participants in Group 1 Symphony Orchestra also have the opportunity to organize chamber music themselves, get coaching as well as perform it at concerts to the extent possible.
– Group 2 Chamber Music – Those who are selected for this will have solo master classes and play chamber music. Get coaching in chamber music by the professors and perform at the festival. The jury appoints groups and repertoire to everyone.
Participants in Group 2 Chamber Music have the opportunity to listen to the symphony orchestra’s rehearsals.
NOTE! You cannot choose to apply for Group 1 or Group 2. Only after all selected students have confirmed their place can the jury make the division of the groups. Therefore, it is important already when you sign up that you are prepared and willing to participate in whatever group you are selected for.
September 18 , everyone will receive the information about group divisions and all repertoire.
– seminars and open workshops
– free tickets to all concerts that are not sold out
You MUST have the following three items prepared BEFORE you start your application!
- A copy of an official document from your academy which proves that you have completed at least 30 study credits or an equivalent thereof at a university level music school, academy or university.
- A copy of your passport or identity card
- An audio or video-recording. The only way to audition to Aurora is by adding an audio or video URL (web address) into the Aurora application form. The most common tools for this are Soundcloud, Youtube, Googledrive or Dropbox but of course you can use any other provider. The link must be open, meaning we will not accept applications requiring login details or password, please make sure in advance that your link works and is accessible to avoid any problems. The recording must be of a solo performance (with or without accompaniment). Repertoire is up to you. One piece is enough. Minimum time is 5 minutes.
No Course fee
NOTE! You have to be a citizen of countries in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland to participate.
Course period: October 26 – November 1, 2020 (travel days October 25 and November 2).
It is an absolute requirement that all participants are on location in Stockholm throughout the whole course period!
Application Deadline: August 7, 2020
Audio or Video-recording (Sound cloud or YouTube advisable) is mandatory when submitting your application.
Accommodation: We do not provide accommodation but will send suggestions of the best hostels starting 250 SEK/night and recommend students look at other hotel or airbnb solutions.
Course fee: 0 SEK for EU Citizens
ECTS- Credits: 7,5
Stockholm – Old Ox Master Classes & Orchestra
200,00kr – 800,00kr inkl.moms
APPLICATION – STEP BY STEP:
1 July. The registration window opens HERE (you can only register within the period July 1 – August 7)
7 August DEADLINE to Apply online. Click APPLY HERE below. It takes about 10 min and you need to have the link to your audition and all documents ready.
2 September. We will send out an email to all selected students.
10 September. Deadline to confirm your participation.
18 September. Chamber Music and Orchestra repertoire will be sent by email.
23 October. Detailed Schedule and Program will be sent by email.
25 October. Arrival in Stockholm
26 October. 09.00 AM Official registration at the course venue in Stockholm
1 November. 10 PM Final concert and the course ends
2 November. departure
Apply here, July 1 – August 7
Violinist Barnabás Kelemen has conquered the most famous concert halls in the world with his virtuoso technique and dynamic,...
CHRISTINE HOOCK is internationally active as an inspiring double bass soloist and chamber musician. She studied with Günter Klaus...
I began my musical studies at the Royal Flemish Academy of Music in Antwerp (Belgium), receiving the solo diploma...
Icelander Hermann Stefánsson is principal clarinettist of the Stockholm Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and the Stockholm Sinfonietta. He has also...
Aurora Chamber Music Scholarship 2009 As the winner of the Prix d’Honneur at the Verbier Festival in 2006 and recipient...
As an orchestral musician, Joakim has continuously worked on a freelance basis for over 30 years in orchestras in...
As a soloist Mats Widlund has regularly worked with all Sweden’s leading orchestras and with such conductors as Thomas...
Pavel Vernikov, a student of David Oistrach and S. Snitkowsky, gained a reputation as virtuoso violinist more than twenty...
At the age of 10 Makarova won the first prize at the Moscow International YouthTchaikovsky Competition. Thereafter she won...
Torleif Thedéen is one of the most highly regarded musicians in Scandinavia. He gained international recognition in 1985 by...
A teacher, instrumentalist and conductor, Yehuda Gilad strives for “total musicianship,” and as a result, he has won the...
Violinist, violist and conductor Julian Rachlin is one of the most exciting and respected musicians of our time. In...
Gordon Hunt was born in London and studied with Terence MacDonagh. He performs throughout the world as soloist and...
Bence Bogányi entstammt einer ungarischen Musikerfamilie. Er bekam seinen ersten Fagottunterricht mit 9 Jahren bei György Bokor in Ungarn....
Enjoying a diverse international career of concerto, recital, and chamber music performances, Sarah McElravy is one of the few...
Born in Swansea, Thomas studied with Melissa Phelps at the Yehudi Menuhin School and with Heinrich Schiff in Austria....
Born in Denmark, Gitte moved to Manchester to study flute with Trevor Wye and Clare Southworth and later in...