Violin, Viola Cello, Piano and Chamber music:
- 3 x 45 min solo masterclasses
- Optional participation in the Old Ox competition
- Chamber music rehearsals and coaching
- Performance opportunities both solo and chamber music
- Auditing other masterclasses
- Free admittance to all festival concerts
* There is no pianist available for violin and cello masterclasses
Old Ox Competition
1500 Euros in Prizes
Main Stage Performance Opportunities
- Jury prize: 1 000 EUR + solo performance on the closing day of the festival!
- Audience prize: 500 EUR
- Violin, Viola, Cello, Piano
Expressing your inner love of music. Sharing timeless personal stories, emotions and experiences written by some of history’s greatest creative geniuses through your own personal voice and expression. The opportunity to change the lives of your listeners forever. The burning desire to move, charm, and dazzle your audience.
If this applies to you, then apply now to the Old Ox Competition. Embedded into the heart of the Old Ox Festival experience which includes masterclasses from some of the worlds greatest pedagogues, chamber music coaching and performances and the opportunity to have fun with and listen to musicians from all over the world, is the Old Ox Music Competition.
The competition is open to all participants at the Old Ox Festival Masterclasses. Each participant has the option to take part with a solo work for their instrument between 5 and 15 minutes in length. Pianists will not be provided but can be arranged independently by the participants. The preliminary round takes place in the early days of the masterclasses where an international jury will select a number of finalists who will perform and compete during the weekend festival concerts.
The jury will select the student that to them best represents the Old Ox spirit, or might chose to divide the prize between multiple candidates, who receive or share 1000 euros. The winner(s) will then perform as part of the festival Grande Finale on the Old Ox Festival main stage. The live audience will also cast their vote to choose a winner of the 500 euro audience prize.
Course period: November 30 – December 6
Location: Mariestad, Sweden
Minimum Age: 18. Please contact us if you are under 18. No maximum age.
Registration fee: 500 SEK. This fee is non-refundable.
Selection list will be published: October 5
Course fee: 4500 SEK. To read the Old Ox Masterclass conditions concerning payment click here
Accommodation: the course fee includes staying at private host families or in a youth hostel in Mariestad. Food and travel costs are not included.
If you are under 18, or wish to arrange your own accommodation, please contact us here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants are selected by way of an audio or video audition. The only way to audition for Old Ox masterclasses is by adding an audio or video URL to the Old Ox application form. The most common tools for this are Soundcloud or Youtube, but you may use any other provider as long as you can provide us with a URL link that does not require any form of login.
Repertoire is free of choice. The performance should be a solo work with or without accompaniment with a minimum duration of 5 minutes.
In the application form you will find the possibility to say yes or no to participation in the competition. For now this is all we need to know, specific repertoire plans and timing will be required closer to the start of the festival.
Mariestad – Old Ox Master Classes and Competition
- Click on the APPLY HERE button below and complete the application form. Have you recording link ready before you begin.
- October 5 – Final day to apply
- October 7 – Old Ox will send out an email with the list of selected students
- October 11 – Deadline to pay the course fee
- October 15 – General information about programs and chamber music will be sent
- November 15 – Detailed schedule of events and lessons will be sent with final information
- November 29 – Check in Mariestad
- December 7 – Check out